There are days when I question my commitment to serving people and today was one of them. My desire is still there, yet I question at times whether I am able to hold the pain my clients bring me, and what to do when they entrust me with more than I am prepared for. Today's heaviness began Wednesday afternoon, when a young girl I counsel shared that there is physical abuse going on outside of school doors. This time, it was evidenced by the small, yet pronounced cut above her eye. Yet more than the bruises or cuts, I recognize this young girl's wounds go much deeper...into the core of who she is and who she is becoming. My first reaction is to rescue her, but I know that is not realistic. And my attempts to uplift and affirm her seem insufficient, because as soon as she gets home, those words hold no power over somebody else's anger.
So I did all that I can do as a mandated reporter: I called the powerful DCFS forces. And their response: not enough "evidence" to open an investigation. Don't get me wrong, I understand that an abuse allegation is nothing to be taken lightly. But I also know that we are talking about a child; one of countless children who do NOT have a choice and do NOT have a voice when it comes to being taken advantage of. And when I think of this 8-year old girl who is at home right now, maybe/maybe not safe, the "evidence" only puts additional weight on my spirit.
And just as this isn't fair, it isn't fair that this girl's family is low on money, low on resources, and low on support. I won't pretend to know what that feels like and what that can drive a person to do, because for whatever reason, I will have EVERY luxurious resource to ensure that I am a "fit" parent. Maybe that's the part that weighs on me the most--the injustice of how some families have it all, and countless others must fight for even the smallest of things...
2 comments:
ugh... why did we choose this type of career? hang in there, babe. I'm sorry you had to go through this and even sorrier your clients has to have such experiences.
oh emery, it is so hard to enter into people's suffering! i hope that you will allow the Lord to sustain you, and that He will rescue those that you see suffering.
i've been thinking over and over again about isaiah 58 this morning... check it out. for those of us who see the hurting day in and day out and feel so helpless to change it, these are refreshing, encouraging words.
love you friend. i think it's time i come to chi for a visit again :)
Post a Comment