6.19.2008

Obligatory Shoes

I love to shop. Period. And although I strive for moderation in my consumerist mentality, I look forward to the opportunity to buy a new dress, shirt, or pair of shoes. Can you blame me? There's just something about snipping the tags off a new item of clothing and putting it on for the first time....ahhh.

However, there's another side to the coin. I'm a social worker. Consequently, I do not have an extravagant clothing budget, which my casual work attire reflects. But I like to think that I have a semi-decent fashion sense and dress for the occasion. Or so I thought...

As I was wrapping up a meeting with my supervisor yesterday, she alluded to my choice in shoes...or sandals shall I say. She was very gentle in her approach yet advised that I might want to re-think this part of my wardrobe. I couldn't believe it...I was aghast. Here I've been thinking that my sandals (not flip flops) were tasteful...and very cute. Especially considering the casual atmosphere of our office. Yet my supervisor pointed out that my colleagues tend to cover up the toes..even on a hot summer day.

So I scurried to my office and began my internet search for a new pair of kicks. It was a mix of emotions. On one hand, I was embarrassed by how oblivious I could be. On the other hand, I was hardly reluctant to whip out the Mastercard and purchase a new pair of work appropriate, fashionable, over-priced shoes. I guess it's just one of those things I have to chalk up:) So...for your viewing pleasure, here they are.









3 comments:

Peter and Bethany said...

love the new shoes em! and for the record I think that it is perfectly acceptable to wear nice sandles in the workplace... at least I do, uh oh may be I better look at my coworkers feet!

Mandii said...

oh my gosh i just LOVE this post! cute new shoes. I'm sure the old ones were fine. The things we have to do to bring in the money!!! :) love you!

Rebekah Wallace said...

said best in the words of Cher:
"Oh as if!". They are just totally clueless but atleast it was great reason to buy new shoes!