5.28.2009

Special Days

In the midst of these days that are stretching and refining me (see post below), there are an equal number of days that are so simply special. I am loving these early days of enjoying Dennis and the friendship we share. I love the nights that we fall asleep in bed while watching episodes of "The Office" on the laptop. I relish in the times that I have a home-cooked meal planned and we opt for the daily special around the corner. Or the mornings when we hit the snooze buttons at least four times.

As we've begun the process of packing up our apartment in preparation for the move, I've been overwhelmed (in a good way) by every single memory created in this tiny space...the 20 friends and family who crammed in the living room to celebrate us the day we got engaged last summer; the kitchen island Denny spent 4 hours assembling after our honeymoon, the budget we created our first month over a bottle of wine, and the front room of our apartment that we brought back to life. It seems that every nook of this apartment has a memory attached to it.

And then there are the memories with friends that seem to grow each week, like this past weekend in Traverse City with Ryan & Bekah (note: these two have been holding their breath for a couple's vacation for YEARS). Every minute of the weekend was well worth the wait and filled with laughter, deep talks, no talks, and lots of delicious food and wine. Dennis and I were blessed by how synonymous a simple and full life can really be; we caught our breaths, soaked up each moment, and were fully present with people we loved.

As we drove back into our city of honking horns and lots of hurting people, that was my challenge in the days ahead: to breath deeply, take in every second, and live presently. Sipping coffee in my robe as I write on my laptop...I think I'm off to a good start:)

2 comments:

Mandii said...

i love you and your thoughts. I like what you said in the last post about the difference between a calling and a career... very true. Our work is often draining and feels like we aren't doing anything - but you have definite gift of helping and loving people. Even if, down the road, that is not used as a sterotypical social worker job, I know God will use your gifts - just keep yourself open and stay tuned to your passions.

Rebekah Wallace said...

I love your thoughts when I read them and can hear you speaking them. how true about the simple and full days em. savor each sip like you would your morning coffee, remembering how it tastes and anticipating the new memories ahead in the new place.