7.10.2009

Expensive Taste

I think my husband would say that I have a gene in my body that causes me to be attracted to expensive things. It's almost intuitive for me to be drawn towards the more costly choice, even if I can't see the price. In planning our wedding, there were lots of choices to make, as you can imagine. And from flowers to food to china, I was magnetically pulled towards anything out of our budget. Yikes.

But then there are times when I can track down a bargain, which is what I thought I was on my way to do yesterday in going to JoAnn's to get our wedding pictures custom framed. I confidently marched into the craft superstore with my Shutterfly prints (bargain) and my 50% off coupon, believing I was going to beat competitor's prices; I was going to create beautiful framed wedding pictures at a fraction of the cost. Sigh. This was not the case.

After one hour of selecting the perfect frame and matting, I was hit hard with the reality of how expensive custom framing actually is. I was speechless. Even with my coupon, I was hundreds over what I budgeted for. Yet I was bound and determined to have framed photos on our walls, so I did what every good wife should not do: I handed over my credit card to the sales clerk. Ladies, do NOT follow suit; consult with your hubbies first.

I anxiously drove home, rehearsing what and how I was going to say to Dennis. ("But Denny, it's an investment...we only get married once." or "I was pressured into it by the sales lady.") My own mother even advised me that I may not want to break the news right away. But before I even got home, I spilled the beans...and my husband was nearly speechless. Yet gracious, knowing that I felt the weight of my costly decision and would never repeat..ever.

Just another lesson in year #1 of married life...and many more to come:)

2 comments:

Peter and Bethany said...

Been there, done that, did not go over well:) Actually still do that on occasion! I appreciate your refined taste though!

Rebekah Wallace said...

ohh Em! I can't believe they were still crazy expensive...and I can't wait to see them either. Is that bad that I am encouraging, or maybe just affirming the finer things in life? Sure they turned out wonderful and years from now (sometimes it does take years), Den will forget the price! Just think of what it would have cost without the coupon!