12.09.2009

A.D.

My favorite part of the work day comes around 4:30. Not because it's almost time to go home; but because a hush covers the hallways and hospital units that have been non-stop all day. It's peaceful and feels warm and safe, which can contradict the chaotic and oftentimes dangerous neighborhood I work in. The best part of this hour, though, is when I leave my office, all bundled up, and run into A.D.

As I leave early in the evenings, A.D. is just beginning his shift; mopping the floors, gathering the trash (my trash), and taking care of the countless custodial tasks that go unnoticed. Every night, A.D. greets me the warmest smile; a smile that is so life-giving. He sometimes giggles when he first sees me, compliments my outfit (or hair, depending on the day), and on the evenings when I'm there past dark, offers to walk me to my car.

In the year that I've worked at Schwab, A.D. is one of a few that has left an imprint on my heart...one of those that won't go away. I don't think A.D. is "accomplished"; he doesn't have extra letters following his name and he's worn the same, humble uniform each day to work for the last 20 years or so. But he's a man with pure joy who lovingly engages each person he comes across.

Working at a hospital, I come across a lot of people who are leaders in their field; people that know a lot of medical jargon and are genuinely brilliant. Don't get me wrong, Schwab wouldn't be what it is without these smarties. But for me, it's people like A.D. who are the nuggets of truth in my life...those that leave an eternal mark.

2 comments:

Rebekah Wallace said...

I can just picture him with his big grin and imagine the joy that you bring him too. Many people probably don't engage him at the level you do so you guys are a blessing to one another!

Blaire said...

It's posts like this that bring tears to my eyes. Bekah's right...you are probably a huge blessing to him as well:) miss you girl!