6.22.2011

To Mentorship

Last year when I started my job at World Relief, I probably appeared to know what I was doing much more than I actually knew {what i was doing}.  I fumbled around a bit to understand my new role and secretly felt insecure in the process.  I didn't recognize it at the time, but there was another program director who, I think, saw that combination of insecurity and passion and reached out her arm to prevent me from drowning.  I'm so thankful I reached back.  Although indirectly, this person has mentored me over the last year.  She has encouraged me, believed in me, and answered every minuscule question I've asked.  She has processed some very difficult moments with her consistent poise and professionalism.  And she has given me a greater understanding of who and how I want to be in the workplace.  After 13 faithful years of service, she will be leaving World Relief...

I started thinking last week, even before I heard this news, about how PROUD I am to work among the team that I do.  They are people who care deeply and live with great conviction.  I learn from them every day, and God is using their unique gifts and strengths to further grow me.  I hope that in the midst of the busyness that easily ensues, that I will choose to extend an arm of help- maybe to a 20-something, over-zealous passionate, fresh out-of-school social worker (nothing like me, of course:)...and help grow them in the process.  I can't say I would be the same had somebody not done this for me.  

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Beautiful sentiments...you are, and you will be.

Ryan Wallace said...

Em,

I love this post. Mentorship is something near and dear to my heart and I resonate with your joy in having been mentored, and your sorrow in losing those relationships along the journey. One thing I continually learn is that it is less about the individual and more about what community they are a part of and have gathered around them (including the workplace). Alone, we are left to our own ways, schemes, etc (especially people like us!). Our level of wisdom when we are alone can only digress. We need people who have gone before us to look back and come alongside of us to provide wisdom in the ways in which we should go.

I've seen you turn from an "over-zealous" or "passionate" college girl into a person who is willing to listen to wisdom and use it to be more thoughtful, not taking it for granted. This has allowed you to love people in a new way. You have been blessed, now go be a blessing to some other college-aged punk.

:)