Why camp?
#1 Camp crosses over the rigid social lines of high school. It is the only week all year where the jocks, techies, and musicians will share a bunk and talk about the real things in their heart.
#2 The Gospel: Kids who come from broken and hurting homes come to the middle of nowhere where they are kids for an entire week. Where they are loved and dress up for themed dinners…all in the name of Christ. They have the opportunity to hear the Gospel- God’s love for them in His Son Jesus Christ—in an environment that’s consistent with that Good News.
What’s special about “the thumb”?
The people of the thumb. And unless you grew up within an hour of east Michigan, it’s impossible to fully capture that sentiment in a few words. Maybe I’ve lived in Chicago for too long, but the people of the thumb delight in talking to crazy strangers like me, take joy in the most ordinary of things, and best of all- know what I’m doing when I lift up my hand as a state map:)
What meaning does camp have in your life?
Camp is symbolic of so many things for me. Camp is where I first heard the Gospel in its clearest form. Camp is where I met my lifelong mentor. Camp is where I escaped for a week during my teenage years and found rest. Camp is where I met my wife…and decided I wanted to marry her. Camp is where God continues to show Himself to me.
What is your favorite camp memory?
Let’s just say the Lord knows how to break-in an already insecure boy to a new environment. My freshman year of high school, they were launching water balloons and sure enough, one balloon was launched directly at me and broke on my face. It wasn’t until 24 hours later that I could see again. Fortunately, my mentor Kent took notice of that pitiful guy after this incident and decided I was worth pouring into. I’m so thankful he did. And the BEST part? I was known all throughout camp by my two black eyes.
Is there a particular verse that encouraged you during your week at camp?
Psalm 32: 1-3 & 5-6, as I was reminded of the power of confession and the freedom that comes when we share the darkest places of our story with others.
Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
through my groaning all day long.
I acknowledged my sin to you
and I did not cover my inequity
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,"
and you forgave the inequity of my sin.
Therefore, let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters,
they shall not reach him.
No comments:
Post a Comment