8.28.2011

What I do when the Mr. is away

While the Mr. was traveling for work last week, I decided it was time to catch up on some house projects I've had on my list for awhile.  My goal was to spend as little money as possible and use some things that were stashed away in the guest room closet.  Just a quick trip to Home Goods & Depot and I was ready to get started.

Project #1: Chalkboard

I started with a set of wall prints that were on their way to Goodwill...


Bought a can of chalkboard paint for $9.99...

And rolled away...


2 coats later, and I have the perfect chalkboard to jot down reminders, notes, and grocery lists

Project #2: Frame makeover

About 9 months ago, I bought some Vintage Dictionary Art off Etsy and had been looking for the perfect frames to hang them in.  I couldn't find any matted frames in the right color for the right price so decided to create my own.

Thanks to the clearance shelf at Home Goods, I scored a set of matted frames for $18



Before painting them, I sanded down the wood to give the frames a distressed look


I used some leftover blue paint I found in the basement and brushed one coat on before lightly sanding again...


Viola!  I love how these turned out- a great addition to the guest room


I have one other project up my sleeve that I'll be finishing this week and will post pictures soon!  Hope you had a lovely weekend friends!

2 comments:

Rebekah Wallace said...

look at you go girl! I am inspired my friend,keep up the thrifty crafting. Side note, I didn't recognize the wall that the chalkboard was on, meaning I haven't been there in WAY too long.

Emily said...

Thanks friend:) The chalkboard wall is the little nook in our kitchen where I believe a plant stand was at the last time you were here. Ringing a bell? Either way, another reason for you and Hannah to come have a sleepover at my place SOON!