"I have learned that women are warriors who need no weapons, who can love and redefine the paradigms of war and peace, who can disarm an enemy with an embrace. Women know that food, compassion, and understanding are more powerful than bullets, bombs, and blockades. Women understand that our own wounds, from the skinned knees and scraped elbows of childhood to the broken hearts of romance to the deep wounds of abuse and longing, can all be healed and beckon us to walk the road toward our magnificent, extraordinary selves..." -Sally Fisher
I am not a mom...not yet at least. But Mother's Day made me reflect on the qualities of women that set all mothers apart...and it made me thankful that I am a woman. I love that as I read through scripture, I learn about a God who cherishes women deeply....a Lord that created men and women different, yet equally reflecting His image...a Father who crafted us with distinct natures that will never be exactly the same (thankfully!) I read of strong women who embody compassion, tenderness, grace, humility, and service...and I feel inspired to pursue my heart's desires!
I am grateful that my parents raised me to celebrate those qualities which make me a girl....not to hide from them or see them as anything less than beautiful and strong. I hope that someday when I'm a mom I can empower my girls in the same way. That I will raise them with a sense of equality...but not of sameness.
To all the moms, especially my own, who I love and admire...thank you. I have yet to understand the task before you. It will never cease to amaze me how you can do a dozen things at once and love people while you're at it. There is nothing I'd rather do than emulate that sacrifice...
1 comment:
Thanks Em! I love you. Being a mom always has been and always will be a tremendous privilege to me that I know only happened because of my Father. And even with all the mistakes one makes as a mom He still loves me and my children unconditionally--who could want or ask for more?!!!
Post a Comment