9.15.2006

agenda-less

The newness of my move to the big city has slowly worn off, and I am ending week four of having virtually nothing on my schedule. Everybody keeps telling me to enjoy this time off before the sheer craziness begins, and I believe them, but honestly, how much down-time can a person have? There have been some up-sides to my jobless existence such as: getting settled into my apartment, painting my living room and bedroom, exploring the confusing city streets, learning how to navigate using public transportation, sleeping in, cooking yummy food, and spending precious time with those who matter most. Yet I feel within that it is time to begin my academic adventure (ask me that again in two weeks when I have 1,000 pages of reading:))

I've experienced so many feelings this past month as I've started new in an unfamiliar place. Excitment, nervousness, hope, wonder, distrust, anticipation, restlessness...and the list goes on. I have loved meeting new people each week, but I admit that I am ready to call acquaintances friends...something that doesn't happen in one months' time. I am eager to move beyond "getting to know you" converstaion to the normal, day-to-day chit chat. It's all part of the journey I know and, therefore, I am hopeful. But for now it can be difficult...as many of you can identify with.

All that to say, there is much to be thankful for this week and I wish to end on that note. This week was filled with old friends and new acquaintances...all of whom I sincerely enjoyed...An IKEA trip with Mandii, Puerto Rican food with Dennis' roomies, going out for Thai with Dan and Shelly, having old TU friends over for dinner, and now heading off to Minneapolis for a weekend with some of Dennis' dearest buds. I couldn't ask for anything more. For each of these encounters and this new chapter I find myself in, I am thankful:)

No comments: