6.24.2008

You gotta meet her...


How does one describe their dear friend Ash Gale? Even as I went to write this entry, I couldn't think of a word, sentence, or even paragraph that fully captures who she is. And that's a large part of why I love her so much. Sunday morning she took the train into the city to spend part of the day with me and it was nothing short of blessed. I knew that she hadn't changed when she began digging through my glove compartment in search of napkins to clean up the coffee she had spilled on herself after taking the first sip. I, myself, can't make it to work without a stain on my shirt or pants, so any friend who spills coffee on themselves at least three times weekly is bound to be a kindred spirit:)

I suppose I should reverse before going any further. For those reading this who do NOT know Ash Gale, I will take you back to the origins of our friendship--Olson Hall. My sophomore year there was a three-man room across the hall that was to be filled by freshmen. It turned out to be the most obscure/wonderful combination of young women ever, one being Ashley. My favorite memory is serving as her alarm clock that year, as we both had 8am classes. I would routinely go to wake Ash up after taking my early shower and would continue to pop my head in until she eventually tumbled from her loft ten minutes before class. How somebody can be as frazzled, disorganized, and genuinely kind that early in the morning is beyond me--it was a sight:)

What started as taking a freshman "under my wing" has grown into one of the most authentic, challenging, and freeing friendships in my life. It is a friendship that God has preserved through college, medical school, graduate school, ridiculous crushes, Republican administrations, months of no communication, and countless countries across the globe. I often talk about Ashley to Dennis as if she's a historic figure; I always tell him that we'll read about her someday in Newsweek and think upon the times we ate in the dining commons together. When I start to feel distant from my heart for justice, equality, and the voiceless, I am reacquainted within fifteen minutes of being in her presence. She talks loudly, laughs hysterically, and carries herself with a freedom that shows she has nothing to hide. Don't you just want to meet her right now??

I'm so thankful for the friendships in my life that God has crafted so perfectly...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I do want to meet her right now. She sounds fantastic!

PS - If you used a coffee cup with a lid, it might work wonders... ;)

Mandii said...

aww I'm so glad you got to spend some time with her. Your shirt is super cute in this pic :) love you!