11.05.2008

"For I know the plans I have..."

Way back when, around the same time as graduation, I interviewed (very informally) at a rehabilitation hospital on the west side of Chicago. They were in the process of applying for a grant that would fund a program serving refugees with physical disabilities and needed a social worker to coordinate this program. I was excited and invigorated by the prospect of working with refugees, but I couldn't take the risk of accepting the position without guaranteed funding. So...I gratefully accepted a therapy position at the agency I interned at as a graduate student. All the while, I couldn't get this job off my mind, and I envied the imaginary social worker who was filling these shoes...or so I thought:)

A couple of months ago, I got word that this position had indeed been funded through two different grants. And when I learned that the job was still vacant, i could hardly stop thinking about the possibilities. To make a really long story short, I was offerred the job for a second time and I willingly accepted. For those who I haven't had a chance to talk with, here is the link to a news story which shares about the community I'll be working with in Chicago:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/disability_issues&id=6177360

So thankful for God's plans taking root in my life. He has given me this heart, and this opportunity reminds me how he intends to use it for His glory.

3 comments:

Peter and Bethany said...

Em that position sounds awesome... how cool is God's faithfulness to us! I look forward to seeing you soon!

Rachel said...

Woah. I was just reading in Jeremiah today and thought of you and Dennis, and wanted to email you and tell you to read it. I started in 29, but I think it was in 30 or 31... I'll look and send you an email. I was SHOCKED to see the title of this... God is too cool.

How are you guys doing? I'm still thinking of you and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Em for reminding us of God's ever present hand in our life. And when our life is yielded to His will we can be used in unique ways to experience and extend his grace and love.