As many of you know, I work at a rehabilitation hospital where every week, there are new people (usually young men from the community) who acquire an injury that will impact them for the rest of their lives. For most, this means a wheelchair; for others, it means that their mind will never work in the same way it once did. Therefore, not only do their bodies need rehabilitation, but every other area does as well. My department recently started a vocational rehab program which teaches computer skills, resume/cover letter writing, job readiness skills, etc. Today, the very first group of four students graduated, and there was a small celebration to commemorate their achievement...
One off the new graduates, a young man who has recently been confined to a wheelchair was there. Along with him was his wife, two young children, and mother. I can't put what I saw into words, but it was beautiful. It was a joy and a pride so pure, that it would have been no different were he earning a Ph.D. His certificate does not mean he will walk again or that he will earn enough money to provide for his family, but that did not rob this family of any meaning. My heart was overfilled as I watched them celebrate over his accomplishment.
I returned to my office, sat down in my chair and cried humble tears...not for this family, but for myself. I cried as I thought about the underlying beliefs I have come to hold; a false belief that it is far more valuable to earn a Master's Degree than it is to repair cars or drive a bus. A belief that a good deal of my worth is found through my credentials, and that in order to be recognized, you must be accomplished. I have gradually bought into the "dream" of nice things and disposable incomes. And regardless of what I know to be true through Christ's work on the Cross, I have started to live my life in a way that conveys otherwise...
I am familiar with wealth, success, and comfort. And it is very seldom that I see the kind of joy that I saw today in a poor and "unacccomplished" family, even in myself. They have been added to the countless others who are etched on my heart...
"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." 1 Cor. 1:27
3 comments:
Emily,
Your title captures the essence of what you witnessed today. It is even more powerful that this is what is real for the family that you spoke of...that is, that they have tasted joy from the Lord in even the most dire of circumstance. Praise His name!
Good word, Em... So true. What a reminder that true joy will never be effected by circumstances. When we live our lives for happiness, we can plan to be perpetually disappointed.
More than once lately, I've been reminded to Praise God for who He is and NOT what He does.
and PS - re: your comment about my blogs. Keep in mind I usually only leave the house about 3 times a week.... for church, grocery shopping and the occasional coffee date. I got time. ;)
Emily, I love seeing how God is satisfying your soul and renewing your mind. Let Him continually crush your paradigm.
"So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
For you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."
Post a Comment