4.30.2009

Steppin'

As many of you know, since joining a gym this December, I've developed quite an affinity for group exercise. It's safe to say I spend a majority of my gym time in the room surrounded by floor to ceiling mirrors. There is something about burning calories to loud music and catchy choreography. What began as one class per week ("Muscle Definition" to be exact) has evolved into a rotating schedule of classes, including "Step Elements" twice a week. I never thought step aerobics would be something I could enjoy, but I've found that I break quite the sweat after 45 minutes of steppin'.

Not only do I enjoy the R&B tunes while I move around, over, and on top of my step, but I'm equally amused by the fellow steppers in my class. As I've reflected on the "regulars," I have concluded that there are various roles that different people assume. Allow me to share (warning: these are VERY broad generalizations, intended for humor)...

1. The Teacher's Pet: We all know that in every class, from algebra to jazzercise, there is always a teacher's pet. This is the member who is early for every class, waiting eagerly to get the best spot in the room closest to the teacher and the mirror. In my class, it's the stepper who hails praise on the instructor for her clever choreography, her catchy music selection, and her trendy gym apparel. It is the stepper who mimics every move the instructor makes, even when nobody else is.

2. The Temptress: Not every class necessarily has a temptress, but mine certainly does. It is the member who is determined to look good while she is steppin', even if that means her waist-length hair is brushing along her back the entire hour. It's the member who leaves little to the imagination, baring her midriff and spandex...and the top of her risque tattoo she got when she turned forty. The temptress is fit, tan , and fabulous...and I'm pretty sure she knows it:)

3. The Advanced Stepper: When the teacher gives three options, this is the stepper who goes with the most complex option every time. It's the stepper who could possibly take the place of the instructor altogether, and is proud to show off her modified moves that she has created. If the teacher says "triple knees"...the advanced stepper gives you triple knees on alternating sides of the step (you have to see it). The advanced stepper comes ready to step and sweats til' the end.

4. The Perserverer: Bless this stepper's heart. The perserverer desires to be an avid stepper, but for whatever reason, cannot grasp the moves. This stepper comes faithfully each week, but just misses each step combinaton. This does not hold her back, though; she will pick back up when she can and push on until the very end, down to the stretching. Every class needs a perseverer, I'm convinced. It is the stepper that encourages new steppers like myself.

Which am I, you ask? Possibly a bit of each (minus the temptress). Deep down, I am loving the tunes and loving the moves, and although I imagine striking up a breezy conversation with my instructor, chances are I never will like the Teacher's Pet. I typically aim for the second row, rather than the first. And, although I'm opting for a few modifications as of late, I am no advanced stepper. I probably most resemble the perseverer (I had a BUMPY start to steppin'), although I'm steadily finding my way:) But really, I am the girl in the middle row with the funky work-out hair, guzzling water every 30 seconds, loving everything about the step experience:)

5 comments:

Rebekah Wallace said...

i'm right there with ya Em. Second row, sweatin up a storm and thinking about what to make for dinner. this made me giggle by the way.

Rachel said...

Awesome post, Em. I wish I could join a gym. If I could afford it, I would and pay someone to drag me there on a regular basis... Ever do any Ashtanga Yoga? Now that, I would willingly leave the house for!

Peter and Bethany said...

Hilarious! Whatever... you so are the temptress, put all that sexiness away Em ;)

Ann said...

This made me chuckle as well. I also recently started steppin' at my gym! And I was definitely the perseverer at first...I even tripped on my step one day and fell flat on my butt. Awesome. But I'm getting better at it, and it's a lot of fun! :)

Ryan Wallace said...

I have no idea why I kept reading this because I can't relate to "stepping", but I just couldn't stop laughing.

Nice Write-up