Many people have asked me over the years why I have chosen social work; why I have chosen the un-prestigious, stressful, low-paying career of helping those in need. Valid question. On my best day(s), I would explain my decision in light of Isaiah 58-the passage that talks about loosening the chains of injustice and setting the oppressed free. As cliche and altruistic as it sounds, that (at the heart) is why. But there is a second part to Isaiah 58, which says (paraphrasing) that when I loosen the chains of injustice and set the oppressed free, then my light will break forth and I will be like a well-watered garden. That's the part that brings it all home for me.
But to be entirely honest with you, there are many days when I am not feeling "well-watered," and I'm certainly not feeling rays of light reflect off of me. I feel just the opposite. Rather than the glory of the Lord being my rear guard, I feel exhausted and alone. Even though I've done my best to fight for justice and set the oppressed free, my job seems fruitless when I get a call that a dear refugee patient has been admitted to the ER for suicidal thoughts--a person I have fought so hard for. Or when I've spent countless hours filling out paperwork so a young boy can receive brand new prosthetics for his legs and never hear a simple "thank you," I feel like my land has been plagued by a drought. I know I don't deserve any affirmation or reciprocation, but I need it. And at the end of a day/month/year, I just want to know there is something bigger...something Divine covering it all. Am I making sense yet?
Today, as you can probably tell, I'm in the dry and shriveled-up category....I am definitely not feeling the vibes of Isaiah 58. It was an exceptionally tough day; one that I don't want to repeat anytime soon. And all I wanted at the end of it was to come home and make dinner--do something nice and domestic that would bless my husband and leave me feeling remotely satisfied. But I couldn't even make the box of Pasta Roni without messing it up; there were only 3 steps to getting it right, and I failed. I mean, really?? Pasta Roni is easier than Mac 'n Cheese for crying out loud.
Phew, thanks for letting me get that out. I'm thankful that tomorrow is a new day, and that I can wake up and find hope in the amazing truths of Isaiah 58...all over again. And before I end, can I ask for your prayers for my refugee friend who is hurting? She's hurting a lot right now...so much that she thinks it would be better some days to take her life. Will you pray that she understands how loved and treasured she is by her Heavenly Father? Thank you friends.
2 comments:
I love you and love your honesty. Thank you for being exactly who you are. It's pretty amazing what curveballs God throws our way throughout life -- just know that I will be by your side (or a phone call or email away) throughout it all. Love you.
I am praying for your friend. Thank you for your honesty. I love your heart. You are letting your light break forth even now, through your writing.
Post a Comment