People often ask me how I communicate with the families I work with, given the numerous language barriers I encounter on any given day- Arabic, Assyrian, Hindi, Karen, Farsi, and the list goes on. A valid question since I do not speak any one of these languages. Although it's true that I embody the fullness (and humor) of nonverbal communication, there is nothing quite as effective as a cup of tea when it comes to understanding one another.
Because it's when I sit in the living rooms of my families and share a cup of tea (or two) that all pretenses come down and they are no longer my client, but my friend. And it's over a home-cooked Iraqi dinner that I get to hear a woman's honest struggle to make friends of her own in a new place. Only when I stop for a warm cup of Chai do I get to see pictures of a family's journey from Nepal to Chicago. These are the moments that I see my families for who they truly are and come to understand their deepest needs. These are the moments that I cherish most and give me energy during long weeks.
Of course the challenges of communicating across cultures remain, but I am learning the simple, understated value of a cup of tea.
2 comments:
I love this post and it warms my heart.
Ahh, as do I. I have also taken notes on how to understand through body language. And I will carry this advice when I find it difficult to understand even plain english speaking folks! I look forward to sharing a similar cup of tea with you soon.
Post a Comment