Traveling abroad over the years and living in a city where half of the population is foreign-born hasn't made me especially patriotic. I have a hyper-sensitivity to all the things that America/Americans have "wrong" and I can easily cringe at the lack of cross-cultural knowledge. But the obvious truth is-
I am an American.
I am a white, Mid-western girl who lacks rhythm and snaps her fingers on the dance floor (maybe while biting my underlip). More importantly, I am a woman who has been given the freedom to pursue an education, marry at my own will, and purchase a home. I have had the freedom to live in a safe and clean community and vote for the leader of my nation. When I think of the countless freedoms I've been given, nothing makes me prouder to be an American. And as I stood to honor the flag during last night's fireworks among a crowd of fellow Americans, my eyes welled up with tears of gratitude.
Because every day, I work with people who had to leave their home countries because they were not free. I hear the stories of women who feared for their life when going to the market and of children who have seen others killed for their religion, for their politics, for their gender. I thought of the millions of people who dream of the freedom that America has so faithfully fought for. And for all the things that America needs to change, this day, July 4th, symbolizes that which makes our nation so great.
So this weekend, I celebrated as every good American should- with family, fireworks, & grilled food.
Happy 4th of July to you and yours.

1 comment:
thanks for this perspective Em. And the pictures, oh the pictures. I especially love Katie's joy with the sparkler.
Post a Comment