8.15.2006

I'm here! (In Chicago, that is)

Friends, I apologize for the long delay in posting since I moved in. I am not yet connected to the internet which makes it difficult. So what did I do yesterday? I drove to the local library branch and signed myself up for a library card. Free library...ahh so nice in a city which charges you for everything.

Well I am here (Long sigh of relief). It's not so much I was dying to get out of my house in Indy, but when you talk and plan for so many months, you're ready for it to move forward...at least that's how it was for me. I drove my compact Civic to the city on Friday, more packed than I have ever seen it. On Saturday my family arrived with the UHaul and from there we went to work. Needless to say, my apartment was not exactly clean so we broke out the rags and chemicals and went to work until all was spic n' span.

I love this apartment, though:) I love the old wood floors and how certain boards will creak when I walk on them. I love how the sun shines in on every side of the house. I love the old, wide doorways and how the breeze travels throughout when windows are open wide. I love the old man who walks down the street every day with the popsicle cart and rings his bell. I love how the mailman throws the stack of mail on the front porch. I love how the children play soccer in the streets and people sit on their front porches. The neighborhood and apartment reveal more character each day and I am excited to make it my home for the next year.

Pray that these walls be filled with joy, laughter, and community in the upcoming months. Hopefully, in part, from each of you..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just say when!

Rachel

laura said...

so... how is it?!!? let me know once you're settled in how independence is treating you! miss you, friend.